Monday, September 17, 2012

The Plastic Problem


If the goal of Plastic Planet director, Werner Boote, was to shock, worry, and disturb his audience, he has succeeded. I’d heard before about plastic leaching when exposed to high temperatures, or about it being unsafe to microwave Tupperware, but this documentary gave me a new frightening awareness. According to the information shown, no kind of plastic has actually been deemed safe. There were traces of mercury found in some, and carcinogens in others. Not only does plastic pollute our environment – as we have always been taught in school – but it also pollutes our bodies. While watching the film, I found myself searching my surroundings to see what plastic was in my presence. The magnitude to which plastic is used in creating commonplace items is incredible.



There is clear bias in this film and it is plain to see its aim is to frighten its audience into action. In the very first line of the film, Boote says, “I would’ve loved to start my film about plastic with a helicopter flight over nothing but pure, untouched nature, only there isn’t any untouched nature left on earth anymore.” Immediately the audience knows what sort of a film they are about to view. There are several shots where an overwhelmingly negative discovery about plastic is being discussed while the director and current guest sit in a spot of natural beauty. The juxtaposition of the two elements made an impression. It supports Boote’s goal of enforcing the seriousness of this issue. This all being said, I don’t mind the bias. I don’t feel as if I am being shown narrow information that may or may not be relevant to the overarching concept. I found the director’s choice of interviewees discerning and credible and the points made to be valid.


It is frightening to think that unbeknownst to the majority of the population, the everyday plastic we use is an insidious killer. Its also appalling to see how many companies are willing to ignore this information when their financial welfare rests upon the success of the industry. Perhaps they, like I, are overcome and don’t know how to begin reacting properly. The information is almost too much to handle, much like the information provided by other films exploring ideas surrounding human impact on our species and the environment. I’m left feeling like nothing I do will make a difference, because the problem is so huge. I feel intimidated by the issue at hand and worried about how my habits may be negatively affecting my own life. Though clearly Boote was personally invested in this cause because of his grandfather’s work in the field, it is definitely something impacting our whole society and needs to be taken seriously.
            

3 comments:

  1. Sarala, you bring up some great points. After watching, I too was worried about the amount of plastic surrounding me and more importantly, how do we, as a society, fix this? I do think that Boote's one fault in documentation is that he didn't provide any solutions. But maybe this was his intention. Maybe he wanted the viewer to think that there is no way out of this cycle. Maybe then people will feel so helpless that they will immediately be called to action to come up with solutions. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you bring up a good thought that maybe he did want to make people feel helpless so they would feel compelled to do something. However, I know that personally, if I'm feeling hopeless, I feel stuck. It feels like nothing I do will make an impact. I'm not sure what Boote's intention was or why he concluded the film how he did, but it is definitely provocative.

      Delete
  2. I think that's a fair point, Talene. One of the most frightening things for me about the film was definitely his representation of the inevitability of plastic use. It made me feel like we have dug ourselves into a poisonous hole and the only way out is to completely change civilization as we know it. I was disappointed when watching that he didn't include a lot of information about solutions, but Talene's right that it's more motivating for the individual to feel like it's everyone's problem and everyone's responsibility.

    ReplyDelete