Monday, September 10, 2012

"God's Army": The Ultimate Branswashing


I don’t even know where to begin with this documentary. Watching Jesus Camp made so angry and so profoundly sad. The blatant disregard for the innocence of these children greatly disturbs me. It is one thing to have faith in a higher power and seek guidance or solace when need be, but it is another thing entirely to force specific, radical practices and beliefs on children. In an early scene Becky Fischer, youth pastor of the camp, says of children, “they are so usable in Christianity.” She doesn’t even attempt to hide her intentions and those of her fellow fundamentalists. Throughout the film various adults argue that the children are “moved” and affected on their own, that they come to such strong faith of their own accord. However, undeniably, children are impressionable. They will naturally soak in the information that is thrown at them. What else do they have to believe, but what they are exposed to?

During a few personal moments with a young girl Tory, she confides, “when I dance I really have to make sure that that’s God. Because people will notice when I’m just dancing for the flesh, and I do that sometimes and I must admit that, and I really need to get over that.” It literally sickens me to think someone has taught this innocent ten year old that dancing for fun is a sin. What kind of parent robs their child of the chance to be young and carefree? The people whose goal is to create a radical evangelist army with which to “bring Jesus back to this country.” They are indoctrinating soldiers for a cause, which isn’t their own. I am forcibly reminded of children raised in fundamentalist Islam, the very same against whom the Evangelists preach.

Maybe the most disturbing part of the film was when a man came to speak to the camp about abortion. He shoved his pro-life agenda in the children's faces. If you confront a child with death, they’re going to have a strong negative reaction regardless of the context. These children had no context. All they knew was that someone was telling them these things resembling babies were being killed. A child doesn’t know the difference between a zygote and an embryo, all they have are their tender hearts. Of course they’re going to plead for an end to the “killing.” The idea of using these misguided children to protest an adult issue is deranged.

By contrasting the radicalism of the evangelists with the opinions of the Christian radio host, I believe the directors were making a strong statement. Showing that even other Christians think of the evangelists as crazy seeks to make more of an impression than using the opinions of a Jewish person, an Atheist, or otherwise. It further alienates the beliefs and principles of the extreme sect. The lack of narration appears to allow the audience to come to their own conclusions. However, the use of content and other editorial elements create a less obvious, but equally potent bias. 

6 comments:

  1. I agree with much of what you say however, it occurs to me that one must ask where to draw the line. How much influence over a child's opinion is morally acceptable? Are parents not supposed to lead their children to any beliefs at all, are they to leave their children to form all of their ideas for themselves? I think that this is a ludicrous idea, and I think that most would agree with me. The job of the parent is to raise their child. But then where does one draw the line? Can parents teach some things and not others? Who defines which doctrines are acceptable to teach, and which are not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great question. I never really thought about this film in that context before. We are all raised with bias and all have different opinions on what is right and wrong. Personal experiences shape and mold us into who we are; how can you tell someone that what the values they hold are wrong? I do think this specific group of Evangelists goes too far because they are spreading intolerance, but who gets to determine what's right and what's wrong? Is it the general agreement of society?

      Delete
    2. You're absolutely right. It is definitely the job of the parent to inform and raise their children. Naturally their beliefs and opinions will make an impression. I was arguing that the radical ideals being forced on the children by not only their parents, but a practical stranger (Becky Fischer), was inappropriate. I also completely understand what you are saying. Who does draw that line? What is acceptable and unacceptable? Who deems it so? I have no idea. I'm certainly not saying I have that power. I was simply responding to how I personally viewed the situation. Perhaps it is the case - and it appears so - that the Evangelists do not think they are extremists at all.

      Delete
  2. Those are questions I struggled with while I was writing my blog. On one hand, I look at these families in Jesus Camp and I can tell what's happening there is wrong, but I suspect they would probably think the same thing looking at me. For this situation, I think the point where you have to draw the line is when the parents are teaching their children intolerance and using them to fight political battles. Children will soak up what you teach them, and they're too innocent to know when what you're teaching them is biased. I know a lot of kids adopt their parents' ideologies just because that's the reasoning they've always heard, but when you're teaching a child a biased point of view like Levi's mother and encouraging them to disregard the other side it becomes bad parenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First I just want to say that your post was very well written and smooth and easy to follow. Also, the issues you brought up grabbed my attention because they are all very important to me as well. I feel that it is very important that children grow up in an environment where they can make many of their own choices and have their own opinions. Of course children will always be naturally influenced by their family and community, but nothing should be forced so strongly upon them so that they truly have no choice. A big part of it though, is the reasoning behind why something is being taught to a child. There are certain morals that are very important to teach children for there own good, but using them to build an army of Christians is an extremely frightening idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky Fischer actually alluded to the Islamic children at the beginning of the film. She stated, "I wanna see them as radically laying down their lives for the Gospel as they are over in Pakistan and Israel and Palestine and all those different places..." Every branch of religion will have an extreme group of people. I feel that children seek approval from authoritative forces, such as their pastor or a youth leader. Rachel's ministry to the woman at the bowling alley is a good example. She wanted approval from her youth leader.

    ReplyDelete