Thursday, August 23, 2012

Waiting for "Superman"


It's pathetic how uninformed the general population is about the serious issues of quality and equality in public schools. Having been through it, I’d like to consider myself somewhat familiar with the dysfunction of the system. However, after seeing this film, I realized I was much less aware of the problem than I thought. This documentary gave a great window into both personal experiences, and factual information critical to understanding the dilemma. Seeing each individual family’s precarious journey through their attempts at bettering their children’s lives made this issue feel personal. By the end, I was rooting for each child and my heart broke when the outcomes were revealed.

Looking back on my previous educational path, my gratitude is boundless for my luck and for the opportunities I was given.  I participated in the lottery system and remember being so glad to have been accepted to my high school, but not fully realizing the magnitude of the situation.  I fortunately attended a Montessori elementary school and a public charter middle school. My first taste of true public school was Northwest School of the Arts; a diamond in a coalmine. Had I not been chosen in the lottery, my high school career would have been immeasurably different and I may not have made it here to UNCA today. Waiting for “Superman” reminded me of this truth and effectively brought my attention to the harsh reality of the state of American public education. 


No comments:

Post a Comment